When you purchase a Honda, one of the most important pieces of equipment that you will receive with your new vehicle is the key fob. Depending on the type of fob and vehicle you have, the tiny little device will allow you to lock and unlock your car doors, start the car remotely, and roll the windows down. If you lose your key fob, it could mean that you can no longer use your vehicle at all. Luckily, we have a quick and easy solution to help replace your key fob and get you back in the driver's seat. Here is a look at the steps that you should take if your Honda key fob is lost or broken.
What to Do If the Battery on Your Key Fob Dies?
In vehicles that have a push-button start ignition, it is imperative that you have the key fob in order to start the vehicle. However, if the battery is dead in the key fob, you may be worried about how to start your car. Fortunately, the key fob can still be used to start the ignition even if the battery is dead.
There is a microchip in the back of the key fob that will let your vehicle know that you are near. Without a battery, you will need to place the key fob close to the start/stop ignition button. The ignition sensor will be able to detect the chip in the back of the key fob. You can then press the ignition button and start the car normally.
You can also unlock the doors to your Honda if the battery in your key fob has died. To do this
- Turn the key fob so that you can see the back side of the fob
- Find the tiny black lever that is located on the back of the fob
- Slide the lever to the right
- Firmly grasp the silver end of the key fob and pull up
- A Physical key that is attached to the silver end of the fob will then slide out
How to Change the Battery on Your Honda Key Fob
Once you have received a replacement battery for your key fob, you can change it yourself. Here are the steps you need to take to change the battery in a Honda key fob:
- Take the physical key out of the key fob to reveal an open gap in the end.
- Place your thumbs on either side of the gap.
- Pull the two sides of the key fob apart.
- Pull the entire batter cartridge away from the key fob
- Push up on the top tab that is holding the battery in place.
- At the same time, take a flathead screwdriver and wedge it behind the battery until it pops out.
- Place the new battery in the battery slot and press down until you hear it click
- Replace the battery cartridge in front of the rubber in the key fob
- Place the two sides of the key fob back together and press firmly until you hear a click.
How to Reprogram Your Honda Key Fob?
Once you have replaced the battery with your key fob, you will need to reprogram it. To program it with a traditional ignition, you will need to:
- Grab your key fob and go in inside of your vehicle with the doors closed and unlocked
- Put the key in the ignition and turn it to the "On" position. (This is where the interior lights and radio come on, but the engine is still off.)
- Press the lock button on your key fob within the first five seconds of turning your car to the "On" position.
- Turn the Key to the "Off" Position
- Repeat steps 2 through 4 two more times. Make sure to wait no longer than five seconds after turning your car on to push the lock button.
- Turn the key back to the "On" position (this will be the fourth total time) and press the lock button.
- You should hear a loud thud sound
- Turn the key to the off position and test the key fob by trying to lock and unlock the doors remotely.
If you have a push-button ignition, you will need to get inside of the car with your key fob and the doors shut. Quickly push the ignition button in the car 15 times. Next, push the lock button on the key fob. This way can be a little tricky to master. If it does not work, you will need to take your fob and car to a Honda dealership to have it programmed.
How to Get a Replacement Key Fob?
If you lose your key fob, you will need to go to a Honda dealership to purchase a new one. Sometimes, you can find replacement key fobs online. However, you should be wary when doing this. You have to make sure that the Honda key fob is the right one for your specific model. There are many people on eBay and other selling sites that will tell you that there is a universal key fob that works for all vehicles. This is not true, and unfortunately, many people fall victim to this scam.
If you need to order a new key fob, or you need help reprogramming your existing key fob, you need to order a new key fob, or you need help reprogramming your existing key fob, contact us today. Our experienced staff at our service center know exactly how to get you the right key fob for your car. Contact us today. Our experienced staff at our service center know exactly how to get you the right key fob for your car.